Jodi Reeb: Encaustic with Photo Collage – March 30 – 31, 2024
This essential encaustic workshop will encompass several unique techniques to create beautiful, layered paintings rich with texture and translucency using your photographs. Hours: 9am – 4pm
5 in stock
Jodi has been a full-time working artist and teacher in Minneapolis for over 27 years. She has taught printmaking, acrylic and encaustic painting as well as book arts classes/workshops at colleges and art centers regionally and internationally including Amsterdam, Ireland and Arrowmont and Haystack Schools of Art. Her artwork has been shown nationally receiving numerous public art awards and is in many private and corporate collections. She is the recipient of the Minnesota State Arts Board Grant in 2021 and 2018. Jodi received a BFA degree in Fine Arts from the Minneapolis College of Art & Design, MCAD, where she instructed printmaking for over 9 years. She received a Hinge Arts Residency in 2020 through the Springboard for the Arts. She is a CORE teaching Artist for R&F Handmade Encaustic Paints and a teaching artist for Ampersand Art and Silverbrush Ltd. She teaches GOLDEN acrylic and encaustic painting workshops in her studio at Traffic Zone Center for Visual Art where she has been a co-op member for 17 years in North Loop area of Minneapolis.
1. Jodi Reeb is not only an incredibly talented artist; she is an amazing instructor! I was fortunate to take a beginning encaustics class with her at Wet Paint in St Paul, MN. Jodi had a vast selection of materials to use, excellent communication, and the perfect combination of demonstration time and work time. She was able to meet the needs of both returning students and new students. I highly recommend taking classes with Jodi Reeb! Robyn
2. I can’t say enough great things about my recent experience in Grand Marais at a 3-day encaustic retreat with the amazing Jodi Reeb. Finding & nurturing my creativity is both a spiritual and tactical practice in my life. Jodi is a superb teacher, funny, outgoing, and genuinely interested in the positive experience for each person. I felt supported, inspired, and proud of the many pieces I created. Jodi’s artistic greatness is matched by her integrity and work ethic.
3. Jodi is an incredibly fun and talented instructor. She brings your own strengths forward and helps you move toward your own style. I also learned many new ways to work with encaustic and look forward to learning and growing in this medium. Carol
4. Took my first encaustic workshop with Jodi. Had a fantastic time. Jodi is very open to sharing her knowledge and helping you find your direction in this medium. Very relaxed environment to work and create. Pam
5. Wonderful workshop! Jodi made encaustic painting approachable and fun. She is great at tuning into her students and meeting them where they are. I would love to take more workshops with Jodi. MaryBeth
This essential encaustic workshop will encompass several unique techniques to create beautiful, layered paintings rich with texture and translucency using your photographs. Images will be printed on tissue paper and used as collage. We will focus on color-mixing and transparency while developing your imagery. Collage is a layer that can be added to your paintings combining oil pigment sticks and encaustic paint. It’s an exciting way to create an artwork that is both a painting and a photograph. The process involves printing photographs on light-weight tissue paper and embedding the image with encaustic medium. Image transfers and working with printed photographs will also be explored. Beautiful, transparent layers are created by adding oil pigment sticks and paint above or below for color and depth. Editing your photographs to print large with low-tech software and apps will also be covered. You will be contacted ahead of the workshop to submit your color or black and white photographs to be printed ahead of time. All levels welcome with lots of one-on-one studio time to create and develop a body of work. The focus is on gaining confidence and expanding your voice with encaustic.