Francis Henry Beaugureau
Francis Henry Beaugureau was born in Chicago on April 5,1920 and began his art career at the Chicago Art Institute at the age of eight. Francis continued his studies there until the mid- 1930s. He went on to study at the Frederic Mizen Academy of Art.
In 1938 Beaugureau enlisted in the military and went on to pilot B-17s, flying more than 30 missions over Europe during World War II. During this time he continued to paint aerial combat scenes and charcoal portraits. Following his military service, he was appointed an art consultant to the Air Force, responsible for painting oil portraits of Commanding Generals and paintings of the Air Force in Europe and Korea. Francis founded the Air Force Art Museum and established the continuing Art Program of the Air Force.
Beaugureau moved to Arizona in 1954 and became known for his western American art, landscapes and portraits in both watercolor and oil, receiving numerous professional awards at local, regional and national art shows. He won a national Gold Medal, the highest honor of the American Watercolor Society. His works are in many art museums, including the prestigious Harrison Eiteljorg Collection and the National Cowboy Hall of Fame.
In the early 1970s, he moved to Tubac, Arizona and was commissioned by the Valley National Bank, to research and paint a series of twelve oils paintings depicting the Military History of Arizona. Beaugureau also painted the perfect example of Tubac’s motto, “Where Art and History Meet,” showing Capt. Juan Bautista de Anza on his first expedition to California with St. Ann’s Church in the background.
Image: Francis Beaugureau, “Juan Bautista de Anza and Companions Leaving Tubac” From the collection of the Tubac Historical Society
Learn about all of the Master Artists.